To reduce the environmental footprint of the production as much as possible, Kim’s Chocolates has introduced several measures to make it arguably the “greenest” chocolate factory in Europe.
Recently we have identified our social, environmental, and climate-related impact. By calculating carbon footprint and identifying key sustainable development goals (SDGs) to which we contribute as a company and part of the sector.
Click the goals below to see how Kim's is contributing to the UN SDGs
The Sustainable Development Goals are a call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure peace and prosperity everywhere.
8 Decent work and economic growth
Fair labour practices and decent jobs for all employees including healthy working environment on the site in Belgium and at the origin in Africa.
12 Responsible consumption and production
- Water treatment installation based on bio-fermentation using coconut chips. 90% of nutrients are removed from wastewater and end up as fertiliser for agriculture.
- New washing machines which have reduced freshwater consumption by 20%. A white roof slows down the warming-up of the building.
- The building uses the latest technology for air-conditioning and ventilation.
- Most of our cocoa is sourced through programs like Rainforest Alliance, Cocoa Horizons, Fairtrade, etc.
- The majority of the paper-based packaging is coming from FSC certified sources. The plastic used for trays in our chocolate boxes is 100% recyclable.
- Most of the flow pack foils are 100% recyclable.
13 climate action
- Last year we avoided the emission of 1309 tons of CO2 by choosing renewable energy. Our 4000 solar panels produce 30% of our electricity needs.
- Up to date lighting system.
- Cooling installation based on ammonia.
- Today we are performing a feasibility study for replacing 80 electro-motors with more energy-efficient ones.
17 Partnerships for the goals
- We are one of the founding members of Beyond Chocolate. This is the joint ambition of the Belgian chocolate and retail sector, civil society, social impact investors and universities. With common effort, we commit to tackling child labor, combating deforestation, and ensuring a livable income for local cocoa producers.
- Participating in Cilo project of UHasselt on circular economy.
- Our daily commitment to Cocoa for Schools in Kyela Tanzania